What Is Invisalign?
Invisalign is a subtle and comfortable option for teeth straightening. The Invisalign aligners, which are the custom-made trays that click over your teeth perfectly, are nearly invisible. Invisalign is a very popular way to straighten your teeth because the aligners are made of see-through plastic. The Invisalign material is smooth, flexible, and easy to wear yet, it’s strong enough to straighten your teeth gently over time.
Invisalign Versus Braces
Invisalign is different from traditional braces in several ways. The material — smooth plastic versus metal — isn’t the only difference, either. With braces, you have wires and rubber bands to shift the brackets, but with Invisalign, you don’t need either wires or rubber bands. With Invisalign, you wear custom made trays that cover all of your teeth. You wear the trays most of the time, but they’re removable — unlike traditional braces.
How Do Invisalign Aligners Work?
Invisalign aligners gradually shift your teeth. You replace your current aligners with a brand-new set every one to two weeks, depending on your straightening needs and plan. Every set of aligners moves your teeth just a little more until you finally have the straight smile you want at the end of your treatment.
You need to wear them for 22 or more hours each day to get optimal results. Your total treatment time could be as little as six months or as much as 18 months. You and Dr. Pearson will discuss treatment duration before your Invisalign treatment starts. Based on how you respond to treatment, you may need more or less treatment time than originally anticipated.
What Are The Benefits of Invisalign?
There are many reasons that Invisalign is now a leading choice for teeth straightening, including:
- Flexibility: remove the aligners for special occasions, brushing, and eating
- Confidence: smile freely without a “metal mouth”
- Comfort: no painful brackets or wires, aligners are a second skin that’s thin and comfortable
- Eating: you can eat chewy, sticky, or hard foods that you can’t eat with braces
- Maintenance: aligners are very easy to care for, and you don’t have to deal with broken wires or brackets
- Orthodontist appointments: you need less time at the orthodontist with Invisalign as compared to braces
How Much Does Invisalign Cost?
The exact cost of your Invisalign treatment depends on several factors.
- The total length of your treatment
- What type of issues you’re correcting (overbite, underbite, crowded mouth, spaces between teeth, or other issues)
- How many aligners you use total
How Can I Get Started With Invisalign?
The first thing to do is an appointment with Dr. Timothy Pearson, at Pearson Orthodontics. Dr. Pearson will do a comprehensive oral exam that includes a visual exam, X-rays, and photographs along with a discussion of your teeth straightening needs and goals. Next, Dr. Pearson uses a high-tech digital scanner to create a three dimensional model of your mouth. Dr. Pearson can then show you how Invisalign treatment will affect your smile. You’ll discuss a treatment plan together, and you can usually get started right away if you’d like.